Korea is the heaven on earth when it comes to food delivery. There are so many varieties to choose from and many places operate 24/7. One of the popular late-night snacks to deliver to your home is jokbal (족발: glazed pig’s feet). A classic Korean favorite, pig’s feet are cleaned then boiled for hours with spices and seasoning. Thinly sliced jokbal is often served with salted shrimps as a dipping sauce or it is wrapped in lettuce with ssamjang sauce.
I believe it is always better to take time to visit the restaurant rather than have the food delivered. But sometimes you just get that craving for delivered food – like on a very tired Friday night when you don’t want to cook but want something delicious. That was when I ordered jokbal from local eatery called Yangssi Jokbo (양씨족보). This is a popular jokbal place in Daejeon where you can eat in as well as order delivery.
Jokbal tastes the best when it is warm from the pot. Next morning, the leftover jokbal will not taste and smell the same as it was the night before. As a spicy addict, I add some vegetable and spicy sauce to make a stir-fry with leftover jokbal. It’s a great way to reduce organic waste and enjoy different variety of tasty pig’s feet.
single serving of leftover jokbal
2 tbs chopped green onion
5 sesame leaves
1 cheong-yang pepper (spicy Korean chilli)
2 tbs gochujang
1 tbs soy sauce1 tsp Korean chilli powder
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbs corn syrup/honey
1 tbs mae-sil-chung (Korean plum juice)
1 tbs minced garlic
1 tbs toasted sesame seeds
pinch of black pepper
few drops of salted shrimp
1. Add the jokbal and sliced onions in a bowl.
2. Mix all the sauce ingredients to make the marinate. Pour the sauce into the bowl and mix well with jokbal.
3. Place a pan on medium heat. Pour the jokbal mixture into the pan and stir-fry for about 3~5min until the sauce becomes slightly thick.
4. Add chopped green onion, sesame leaves, and cheong-yang chilli then mix a few times.
5. Turn off the heat and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.
*Omit chilli powder and cheong-yang chilli if you cannot handle the heat!